From some time ago Oracle began to incorporate Oracle Configuration Manager(OCM) into opatch utility.
It wasn’t absolutely necessary, but Oracle chose this path of propagation for this utility to require more end-users to install it on their systems.
OCM is a nice tool for propagating details of end-user configurations to new portal My Oracle Support for the subsequent proactive diagnosis, but its inclusion in the opatch added some headache to end-users:
- opatch utility size increased from 1MB up to 35MB…
- most systems don’t have internet access, even through proxy-server – corporate security policy
- running opatch will require to provide Metalink account details even if You don’t want to configure OCM…
Let’s look closer at the last item. You have some choices
- every time when You run opatch apply|nappy just provide empty metalink username and answer No to the next question “you wish to remain uninformed of security issues”:
Provide your email address to be informed of security issues, install and initiate Oracle Configuration Manager. Easier for you if you use your My Oracle Support Email address/User Name. Visit http://www.oracle.com/support/policies.html for details. Email address/User Name: You have not provided an email address for notification of security issues. Do you wish to remain uninformed of security issues ([Y]es, [N]o) [N]: Y
- “configure” OCM in disconnected mode by specifying some data when db server isn’t connected to Internet:
Provide your email address to be informed of security issues, install and initiate Oracle Configuration Manager. Easier for you if you use your My Oracle Support Email address/User Name. Visit http://www.oracle.com/support/policies.html for details. Email address/User Name: firstname.lastname@example.org Password (optional): Unable to establish a network connection to Oracle. If your systems require a proxy server for outbound Internet connections, enter the proxy server details in this format: [<proxy-user>@]<proxy-host>[:<proxy-port>] If you want to remain uninformed of critical security issues in your configuration, enter NONE Proxy specification: NONE
- configure OCM in disconnected mode by running next command which is preferred over previous method:
$ORACLE_HOME/ccr/bin/setupCCR -s -d
Deploying core - Version 10.3.1.0.0 Deploying engines - Version 10.2.7.1.0 Deploying metricdata - Version 10.2.4.0.3 Deploying scripts - Version 10.3.1.0.0 Oracle Configuration Manager has been configured in disconnected mode. If the target ORACLE_HOME is running a database, please refer to the "Post-installation Database Configuration" section of the OCM Installation and Administration Guide (http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/ocm.html) to complete the installation. View configuration data reports and access valuable configuration best practices by going to My Oracle Support.
- completely remove OCM from ORACLE_HOME by running next script:
mv $ORACLE_HOME/ccr $ORACLE_HOME/ccr.SAVE mv $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/ocm/ocm.zip $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/ocm/ocm.zip.SAVE touch $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/ocm/generic.zip