“Use Firefox Quick Searches to quickly access Oracle related information: DOCs, SRs, NOTEs, BUGs etc…”
Several years ago I was using Maxthon Browser to walk the Internet. It was (still is ?) based on Internet Explorer engine and provided a lot of customizations over IE. The most useful for me was the possibility to use search engines directly from address bar.
It was like a charm (after some customizations) – typed “mn 1269139.1” (mn was an acronym for Metalink Note) and contents of mentioned Metalink Note displayed without the need to open Metalink web site, type NOTE number and do the search, then find needed NOTE among others and open it – which was a quite a long way…
There were about two dozen of such customizations – half of which were related to Oracle activities.
So when a decided to move to Firefox, mentioned search customizations were the only thing that was stopping me to move quickly…
Some time ago I have found the possibility to reproduce mentioned behavior in Firefox.
There are two different way:
1) create custom search extension, install it into Firefox and specify “Keyword” to access this search from address bar – it’s not the easiest and fastest way
2) create Bookmark in special format and specify “Keyword” – we will go this way!
Next I’m showing the way how to add mentioned bookmarks in Firefox 4.0 and later I’ll provide customizations especially for My Oracle Support web-portal.
So, lets add Firefox bookmark with search capability:
1) inside Firefox press Ctrl+Shift+B
2) at the left side select All Bookmarks -> Bookmarks Menu
3) press right button of mouse and select “New Folder”, type something like SEARCHes
4) right click on newly created folder(SEARCHes) and select “New Bookmark” and fill next fields:
Name: MOS NOTE
press “Add” button to add bookmark.
5) now close Bookmarks Library window and go to Firefox address bar
6) type “mn 1269139.1” and press “enter” – You will move directly to specified MOS NOTE!!!
So now we have quite useful shortcut to go directly to specific NOTE.
Lets add rest of shortcuts to Oracle resources:
Happy SEARCHing! 🙂
PS1: some shortcuts will return HTML results, but some will start FLASH
PS2: leave in comments what You think may be added to provided list to make Oracle activities easier or faster.
Don’t include special characters like “(“, “)”, “?”, “=”, “&”, … in your searches to My Oracle Support – it’s because of the way how they are passed and processed by Flash.
You may use provided Quick Searches as a shortcut for looking up ORA-600 or ORA-7445, just use “s ORA-600 [kgeade_is_0]“ to search Knowledge Base or “sb ORA-600 [kgeade_is_0]“ to search only in BUGs or even “sa ORA-600 [kgeade_is_0]“ to search in All Sections. Please keep in mind fact mentioned in UPDATE1.
MOS Flash interface was retire, so I have rechecked all shortcuts for relevance – some was corrected but some still don’t work(grayed)…
If you are having long sessions with MOS, you are absolutely require to have one more Firefox shortcut on you toolbar. Check Tanel Poder’s C-MOS: How to get rid of the annoying “The Page has Expired” dialog in My Oracle Support